Rotary Engine Flooding Prevention
Any trip that is too short for the engine to reach
normal operating temperature (needle in middle of temperature
gauge indicates normal temperature) should follow these
steps to prevent flooding of the engine.
- With the engine already running,
- Raise the engine speed to 3000 RPM
for 10 seconds
- Return to idle
- Turn off engine
The above are instructions to prevent
flooding as described in your Mazda Owner’s Manual.
We have been using a slightly different method that does
not require holding engine speed at 3000RPM for an extended
period of time. Here are the instructions:
- With engine already running,
- Raise the engine speed to 3000RPM
- Holding the engine speed at 3000RPM,
turn the ignition key to the “off” position,
- While simultaneously depressing the
gas pedal all the way down.
- After the engine has completely wound
down, release the gas pedal.